Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, September 08, 2002

Gaming: The LARP
Last year, I told LT that I would run the LARP at ACUS 2003. I had this "great" scenario in mind. It had to do with the destruction of everything and what to do when your spirit is floating around in primal chaos. It was a very serious and "deep" plot dealing with the purpose of life, the universe and everything. Characters could be anyone who ever lived, wether they were Amberites, characters from other forms of fiction/gaming or real people and they would have to work together.

Carla told me that it might be a little too serious for the Saturday LARP and I agreed. I dropped the idea but not until after I told LT that I would run the game. No problem. I still want to run it. I just need a new plot.

So, I talked to several people about it and their suggestions were "make it fairly light." Carla was right. She often is.

So here are three scenarios I've been toying with. I need to decide before October so I can start preparing.

"Amberites and the Chaosians That Love Them"
Blurb: Filmed live in the courts, the Garry Flinger show is one of the most popular television shows in all of shadow. Garry Flinger is the show where people come to air their scandals before millions of universes. It is the show of which all other talk shows are but shadows.

The show is fast approaching its one millionth episode and CBN, the Chaosian Broadcasting Network has decided to do a special two hour episode and for an extra-special treat they have convinced several members of the royal family of Amber to be guests. This is going to be good. I hope nothing goes wrong.

Characters: PCs would be needed to play some of the royal family and other characters from the Amber series. The audience, which would be made up of people from anywhere in the multiverse will also be involved with the plot. Everyone will conspire with the GM to come up with scenarios that can come out on the show.

Pros: The scenario would only need two NPCs and I can play them both. The game is bound to be very silly. I have some twists in mind that will take the game well beyond the two hour "filming time" and keep everyone involved for the whole time.

Cons: The game is maybe too silly and may suffer if it doesn't get a lot of players.

Morpheus Rising
Yep, a LARP follow-up to Morpheus Calling

Blurb: I can't share the blurb yet, since the scenario would build off of MC which I will be running MC again at ACN and maybe at U-Con. (MC would be a great scenario to introduce people to Amber who are new to the setting/game.)

Characters: Players can be anyone or anything. They will be built using a variation of the ADRPG. Players who have played in Morpheus Calling will be able to return with their characters from before. Some changes may be made to what their characters experienced in "Morpheus Calling" to tie in characters from different times that MC has been run.

Pros: Several players from ACUS 2002's game have expressed interest in a sequel and the game was run in the Saturday Night slot last year, the same slot as the LARP. Characters can be anything the player wants, so people can dress as any character they decide and still be an Amberites. The background of the game should be pretty simple to explain to all of the people who have not played in MC. Some returning players could be given extra information on the scenario and act a bit as GMs. The scenario would center around one main location, a party. The scenario can be as serious or as light as needed.

Cons: It may be seen as too serious a plot. I don't think it will be. I would have to figure out a way to dress as Morpheus. I can't afford a black leather trench right now and I'm certainly not shaving my head. The game will require a few locations outside the party.

The Magic Murder Mystery (haven't decided on a real title)

Blurb: A storm rips through shadows destroying everything in its path. Several Mages gather at a mansion on the edge of a world to perform a ritual to protect their corner of reality from the storms destructive force. They come from many shadows with retainers and bodyguards. The night before the ritual is to take place, their is a murder, an impossible murder. Now they are all stuck in the mansion together and one of them is a murderer.

Pros: I've run the scenario successfully twice before as a regular roleplaying game, once in GURPS and once in Changeling. It only takes some minor changes to fit into the Amber universe or a LARP. A mystery can always be fun.

Cons: Limits character concepts. Character backgrounds will have to be provided somewhat by the GM. Somebody will have to play the culprit (or culprits).


So, I'd like to know what you think. Please, leave comments below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home