Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Friday, September 27, 2002

Half-formed Thoughts
I tend to pick apart stories wether its a book, comic or movie. I don't mean nit-picking. I don't look for things to find wrong. I may notice errors in a story, but that is because I try to pay close attention. What I really pick at is taking a story down to its elements. I love symbolism and seeing writers use different character archetypes and themes in different ways.

I sometimes drive Carla crazy with this. She doesn't like the dissecting of stories like I do and I think she gets irritated with me sometimes because I don't like to "just enjoy" the story. If a watchmaker sees a well built clock, he's going to want to pick it apart and see what makes it tick. I'm the same way with stories.

The Child's Journey

I was reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card a while back and after I was about four chapters into the book, I realized something: Harry Potter is Ender! They are two completely different stories but the main characters fit into a similiar role: The Child Hero. Now, I don't know if anyone like Joseph Campbell has ever covered this version of the Hero's Journey, but there was definately a them there and it is a theme hat seems pretty common.

Ender's Game is the story of Ender Wiggins a young boy destined to save the world. Like young Mr. Potter he is marked as different at a young age and his youth is miserable. He has no control over his life and his brother keeps him living in fear. Ender Wiggins may not live in the cupboard but his brother, Peter makes sure that his life is plenty miserable. Like Harry, Ender has no control over his life. The two young heroes are like any young person in this regard and I think that is why these characters quickly become endeared to the reader. We've all been there. We've all been kids. We've all known that feeling of helplessness that we are not yet the masters of our own destiny. However by making this beginning really miserable, the author amplifies this feeling of helplessness to a greater degree and the reader really begins to connect. (Another character in this mold- James from James and the Giant Peach. Do you remember how his story started?)

Then someone or something signals to the young hero that he is special. There is a taste of the magic involved. Harry spoke to a snake. (Of course he did. He is the Slytherin's heir of course.) Whatever happens in this scene it gives the character the first taste of the adventure to come.

And from there on the story becomes a journey of discovery. The character learns of his own special nature and gains power to affect his or her future. The character makes new friends and uses his or her newfound strength (wether magical in nature or merely a new-found confidence) to save their friends and eventually save the world (or something like that).

Of course, in the Harry Potter books, Harry ends up going back to live with his Uncle and Aunt and the whole cycle begins again. Maybe that's part of the charm of the books. Everything starts out bleak for Harry, things get better as he goes back to his friends at Hogwart's until the challenge comes. He faces his challenges, learns more about his special nature and saves the day and we are with him right from the beginning. Right from the beginning we feel his helplessness and connect with him. Most kids have had the dream of having the magical journey, making good friends and being the hero. With the child-hero we live that dream.

So, this got me thinking about roleplaying. A friend I know has a theory about roleplaying that he will share with anyone who listens. He believes that, by playing through a character as a child a player can build a greater connection to the character. He believes it is because the player can play through some of those developmental years and start the character with a clean slate. It's a thought, but I have another. As I stated above, we all know this feeling. We all know what it is like to be a child. We may not know what it is like to be a demon-hunter or an immortal Amberite but if we start the character as a child, there is a time where we truly understand our character and with that beginning we will have a better connection to the character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home