Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Quote of the Irregular Time Period
I read a story about a 2nd grade teacher who...[t]old her class that there was no Santa.

It was odd to me, because I'm an atheist. I don't really think that kids SHOULD be taught religion and stuff. And yet, when I read about this 2nd grade teacher, she sounded like the most evil person imaginable.

I bounced it around in my head all day. On one hand, how could you possibly take SANTA away from some little kid?? On the other hand, why DO we feel that we have to make up a lie about some supernatural fat man in order to give presents to little kids?? Wouldn't they be just as happy knowing that Mom and Dad gave them Christmas presents?? When I was that age, I couldn't care less if Nyarlathotep came in through my basement window and slaughtered 9 kittens to summon forth toys from the Outer Plains, as longs as I got my goddamn Hasbro Millennium Falcon. The whole Santa myth is just a bizarre idea all around, isn't it?

-"Wurmwyd" replying to The Ferrett's post about this DJ who announced to kids on the air that there is no Santa.

Personally, I thought the fact that my parents lied to me about Santa was kind of funny. I had known from sometime and just thought it was amusing asking them questions to get their ridiculous answers. I was on to them from the moment they told me that all the Mall Santas were actually Santa's Helpers. I was about five years old and wanted to know how Santa was at two malls at once. I started realizing how ridiculous the whole notion was. Still, it took me a long time before I could really believe in things that I couldn't see again. If adults lied about Santa, then what's to say they weren't lying about God and Angels?

Yeah, I was a doubting Thomas. (Since I mentioned Thomas- They found the Gospel of Thomas some years back and from what I heard about it on NPR, it falls much more in line with my spiritual beliefs than anything in Contemporary Christian teaching. It sounded to me like "Doubting" Thomas understood Jesus's teachings better than the rest, but since it didn't jive with what John taught, the church had to choose one or the other. Of course, noone is alive today who knows what Jesus actually said, so who knows?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home