Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, May 25, 2002

Writing Exercise: The Rain
I was trying to remember a poem I wrote once and all I could remember were the first two lines. I decided to do a writing exercise with it and this is what came out:

Last night I cried myself to sleep.
Tonight I'll do the same,
but first I go and wait outside,
I wait for it to rain,
to wash away the bitterness,
to wash away the pain,
to wash away the memories
to wash away your name.

I wrote the original poem years ago and I'm sure the original was much better, but the important thing is that I broke through a bit of this writing block I've had. My writing has been flat and boring for years (in my opinion) and I haven't tapped into much emotions while writing. When I went to start this writing, I remembered the original first lines and the pain I felt when I wrote them and the words came out with ease. This is the way it used to be before I started worrying about if what I wrote is any good. When I started editing myself as I wrote it all went downhill.

Oh, and this poem in no way reflects how I feel these days. It was just an old pain half-remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home