Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, October 28, 2002

Weekend- Expanded Edition
The book- I wouldn't usually be so excited about finding a book at Borders Outlet, but Jeff Noon's books aren't being published in the US anymore and I was thinking I would have to import this one through Amazon UK. When I checked Amazon a while back, this book was the only one by Noon I was missing. I couldn't believe it when I found it a Borders for a fraction of the cover price.

I made the mistake of setting the book down while I was shopping at one point and returned to find someone else picking it up and looking at it. My stomach jumped into my neck and it took great control not to leap at the guy and snatch it from his hands. "Mine!" Instead, I walked up to him as he read the back cover. "Excuse me, but that's my stack of books that I had just set down and I'm buying that book."

As a firm believer in Murphy's Law I expected the man to throw a fit and say he was going to buy it leading into two grown men fighting over a book at the sale table, but he obviously didn't recognize the book as the treasure it is and handed it to me.

I clutched the book the rest of the time I was in the shop.

Today, I looked at Amazon UK for the link for the book and found that he has another book out. It looks like I may be importing after all.

The party- It was a great crowd and a lot of fun. I got to see several friends that I'd like to be able to see more often and I met some pretty cool people. Carla and I dressed up as modern day vampires using these fangs that custom form to your teeth. They were neat but a pain in the butt. I talked with a lisp most of the night.

Heroclix- I like the game more now than I did at first. It's kind of amusing that a year ago my friend Cody and I were at the game store playing 40K and scoffing at the Mage Knight players. (MK is a fantasy game made by the same people as Heroclix.) The Mage Knight figures looked horrible and we figured the appeal was just for people who were too lazy to paint minis.

A year later, I have more unpainted miniatures than I'll ever get around to painting and Wizkids (the makers of Mage Knight and Heroclix) has really improved at making their miniatures. The Heroclix miniatures feature comic book superheroes, something I enjoy even more than high fantasy settings and the game is actually fun. So, Cody and I were at the same hobby shop yesterday playing Heroclix.

The game was a lot of fun and it was cool to see Cody. He's an old friend and I don't get to see him often these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home