Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, September 08, 2003

Gamemastering
I said that I would do this with my Changeling game. It never happened. I said that I would learn from my mistake and do this with my World of Ineffecient Light game. I didn't.

I finally remembered to do things right and I forgot how much this helps.

I'm keeping a notebook for the two games I'm currently planning and its amazing how much it helps in planning. I took a break from planning the Connemara game for the last couple of weeks to work on the Buffy game. I've been scribbling down plot ideas and elements on the Buffy game in my spiral notebook. Now that it loks like "Gillian, the Vampire Slayer" may be missing its original premiere date in September, I've returned to planning Connemara and just the few pages of Connemara notes in my notebook helped me remember the feel I'm shooting for and the ideas that came before.

There wasn't much written down about Leviathan but it was enough to jump-start my memory. I've come up with a few ideas for

For feel, I have a few words here and there that trigger my imaginations like:

The Village: River with mill, pastures, woods....not too forboding, cave with ancient carvings

Important World elements: Ruins of old world, Ancient Forests (Lovecraft), Elven areas (off limits to mortals), Mountains, superstitions, City in volcano, dark tower (need name)


I also have notes on mechanics and allowable character races and plot bits (although less plot has been planned than the Buffy game, I have the basic scenario).

The biggest thing about this notebook is that it will hopefully catch a lot of the stray thoughts that I come up with. I don't know how often between WoIL games, I had ideas of plots and plot-elements to work in and by the time I went to run the game, I'd have no idea what plot ideas I had come up with and would end up trying to wing something. Depending on the enthusiasm of the players and how "on-the-ball" I am, this off-the-cuff style of GMing can work for me but I have to quit relying on things.

So, I've started the GM's notebook. It's a spiral-bound notebook like I used in my early days of gaming and I'm scrawling in it whenever I think to. I've got two games coming up. I need to plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home