Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, June 07, 2004

A Friendly Reminder
I haven't been feeling very spiritual lately. So, tonight as I was laying in bed, I decided to grab a spiritual book and start reading. First I grabbed the bible and started reading Jesus's sermon on the mound, but it wasn't really speaking to me. So, I grabbed one of my favorite books, Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh, opened it up to a random page and started reading.

In case you haven't heard this, this is a great thing to do when you feel like a little guidance and you don't know what you should read or do. They say it can work with any library of books, but I am sure a book of spiritual/inspirational books work best. Take a book that "feels right" and turn in to a page that "feels right." Trust in your spirit to lead you to the passage that you need to read.

So, I turned to a chapter where TNH talks about how it is wrong to be angry at the rich. He wrote "...I do not think God wants us to take sides, even with the poor. The rich also suffer, in many cases more than the poor! They may be rich materially, but many are poor spiritually, and they suffer a lot. I have known rich and famous people who have ended up commiting suicide. I am certain that those with the highest understanding will be able to see the suffering in both the poor and the rich."
"God embraces both rich and poor, and He wants them to understand eachother, to share with each other their suffering and their happiness, and to work together for peace and social justice. When we take sides we misunderstand the will of God. I know that it will be possible for some people to use these words to prolong social injustice, but that is an abuse of what I am saying. We have to find the real causes for social injustice, and when we do, we will not condemn a certain type of people. We will ask, Why has the situation of these people remained like that? All of us have the power of love and understanding. They are our best weapons. Any dualistic response, any response motivated by anger, will only make the situation worse."

I've gotten to the point in recent years that I hate the rich. I also hate people who drive S.U.V.s. I hate close-minded people. I hate people who vote for Bush.

If I see an S.U.V. driving down the road with a Bush in 04 sticker, I think all sorts of horrible thoughts about them. I get angry, and Yoda said it, "Anger leads to the dark side." (OK, I think he said a whole bunch of stuff that is on the path to the dark side, but I don't remember that movie very well.

I also get very judgemental when I think of the "so-called Christians" that will support things like the Iraq war and the death penalty. Jesus taught another way, but in his name they still continue doing the things he taught against. It seems that so many of these Christians are just glossing over the turn the other cheek aspect of his teaching and continue quoting the same old testament eye for an eye line that Jesus spoke against. I start judging them and by doing so, miss one of Jesus's teachings myself, the one about casting the first stone. Of course, I don't claim to be Christian, but he taught that for a reason: It is an important spritual teaching. Becoming self-righteous will not get one any closer to enlightenment.

So any ways, I've built up a lot of anger. Sure it may have started because I saw the suffering that others like the rich cause, but once I start carrying a lot of anger towards them, I start losing the point. The anger consumes and there is no longer the room needed for love.

Thanks Thich Nhat Hanh. I needed the reminder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home