Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 28, 2002

I spoke to one of the Florida social workers today and as far as she knows there are no plans to give custody of the kids back to my sister. I also spoke to my Mom today and I think I was able to get her to understand that just because my sister hasn't hit the kids yet, doesn't mean she won't.

John Adams
When JA was in his twenties he kept a journal. In it he wrote a lot about the people around him and the world he lived in. The biography I am reading is filled with quotes from his journal and his writing was excellent. In a different time or place he could have been an excellent novelist. The strange thing I learned today is that during the 5 years that he was courting Abigail, he only wrote in his journal once about her and that time in coded speech. He wrote less often in general during those years (no doubt, he was preoccupied) but even when he did write he didn't say anything about her, not even a "saw Abigail today." I wonder why he didn't write about their courtship. Was it some sense of morality that told him he couldn't kiss and tell? Perhaps he feared that his journal would fall in to the wrong hands and ruin her name. After they were married they would write eachother every day that they were apart and thoughts of her filled much of his journals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home