Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 21, 2002

Religion
Why do some people feel the need to convert other people to their beliefs? Are they that insecure in their faith? Sometimes I wonder if having more people agree with them makes it easier to believe in something that continues to be disproved by science. You don't usually see Buddhists out trying to convert people, but Buddhism doesn't teach anything that has gotten disproved by science.
A high school friend of mine forwarded an email to me last night. It was the first email I've received from him in a while. The email stated that God allowed the attacks of 9/11 to occur because we don't allow prayer in public schools. It went on and on about how we teach our kids that sin is good. I have warned him in the past that I don't appreciate these emails, but he continues to forward them to me. It has gotten to the point that I don't want to have any more contact with him. I have recently changed email addresses and I am not sending him my new one.
This friend was also the guy who was emailing me back in November saying that we should bomb Afghanistan "back in to the stone age." Last night he forwards an email saying that the problems with today's society is that kids aren't being taught the bible and "Thou shalt not kill." In September he called me un-american because I didn't support the government sponsored murder that was going on in the Middle East. Last night he tells me that the government should ignore the Freedom of Religion and force a religion down kids throats. I guess what upsets me the most is that I never saw what a hypocrite my old friend is until now.
I sent him a lengthy email back. I told him my feelings on the matter. I asked him if schools should also teach "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" or that a woman is inferior and should submit to her husband. I reminded him that "Thou shalt not kill" did not leave any exceptions and that "he who is without sin should cast the first stone." I told him that Sept. 11 had nothing to do with god, no matter what the religious fanatics on either side may want you to believe. I said a whole lot of things. After sending my long email, I still don't feel any better.
So, I am having nothing more to do with him. I like talking to people who have different beliefs than me, but if you are going to talk to me about religion, please respect that I may not agree with you. If you are going to preach to me, I hope you practice what you preach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home