Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, May 05, 2002

Kids
Warning: I'm not pulling punches. These are my thoughts and they may offend you. You've been warned.

OK. I'm ready to throw in my 2ยข. I don't have anything to add about periods or the uterus, but I will speak about having children.

I was coming home from Home Depot today. The store is maybe three miles away and on that drive I saw eight dead animals at the side of the road. I counted. I'm pretty sure one was a possum. Another looked like a squirrel. I couldn't tell you what the other six were. Some were just flattened fur on the road.

Every time I see roadkill, it pisses me off. I see an animal that was either hungry or looking for a mate. Not having what it needed in the little bit of woods left for it, it has to cross the street, hopefully to find a forest on the other side. This poor animal, not knowing that the forest on the other side has been turned in to a new housing community, faces it fears and steps out on to the pavement. The car comes along at 60 mph and BAM! If it's lucky it dies instantly. Many of them don't. They get half of their body flattened and struggle to get themselves off of the deathtrap people have made. They either end up slowly dying at the side of the road (I saw one of these last week on the way in to work) or mercifully being hit by another car.

Of course if human beings hadn't spread like cockroaches over this planet, the critter may not have had to cross that street. It may have been able to go the other direction and find vast woodlands. That isn't the case around here. We keep tearing forest down to make more subdivisions and everywhere you turn: roadkill.

This is why I don't want to breed. I love kids. They are great and I might have even been willing to make room in my life for one. However, I'm not selfish enough to think that the world needs me to breed. All you have to do is watch daytime talk shows and you'll see that there are plenty of people out there who don't understand birth control. The human race is in no danger of dying out. We are like a virus. It will be some time before we either learn to keep our own population under control or mother earth develops an antibody that we haven't built up an immunity to yet.

Some people don't feel complete unless they have children. Rather than try and find a new meaning in their lives, they have children as custom demands. Kids are demanding and rewarding. The reward usually outweighs the work. That's why many people have more than one. They are selfish. They like having that sense of purpose. That's selfish if you ask me. Rather than thinking about the world as a whole, the environment or even all of the children that already exist in this world that could use their help, they have their own little bundle of joy. What happiness it brings them! Then they try and pressure their non-breeding friends in to doing the same, not as some self sacrifice that any good selfless person would do but by telling them how wonderful it is to be a parent. "You don't know this kind of joy until you hold your baby in your arms and say 'I made this.'"

I'd love to have children, but I won't. There's already too many humans in the world. Don't worry about me. I'll find something to do with my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home