Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, May 25, 2002

Warhammer 40K: Attack of the Robots
I went over to Cody's earlier to play a couple games of 40K. I was playing the Necrons, a race of robotic terminator-like robots that serve a god-like race called the C'Tan, a race of ancient "Star Vampires." The Necron army was what originally got me in to Warhammer 40K, but besides a few troops they never released anything more for them. So, I went on to play the Space Marines and eventually the Tyranid (a race of monstrous creatures like the bugs in Heinlein's Starship Troopers). Well, they finally started releasing new miniatures for the Necron army and a new army book with the rules. I haven't been plaing in a while but the new Necron minis have pulled me back in.

Cody and I have started playing a narrative campaign between my Necron and his Tau army. (The Tau are a bunch of goody-two-shoes that fight for "the greater good." Bah.) With each game we develop the story a little more and increase the size of our armies. The storyline has been about a mysterious (everything about the Necron is mysterious) attack on a Tau planet. The Necron have been attacking bases around the planet and the Tau are trying to find where on the planet they are coming from.

We don't write up stories around the battles or anything but having an idea of the story in our own minds makes the game more interesting. 40K may be a strategy game but as a roleplayer I like to know why my army is fighting. Why are the Necron fighting? I can't tell you that. If I told you, it wouldn't be "terribly mysterious." Of course, in the last game we played my Necrons decimated the Tau, so they may never live to find out themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home