Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Friday, April 04, 2003

Benedict Arnold
I caught the end of A&E's Benedict Arnold miniseries this morning. It seemed to be pretty good and I really liked Kelsey Grammer as Washington, but it did one thing that bothered me. At the end a British officer is telling Arnold that his betrayal has united the colonies in a way that noone else could, more than Washington or the Congress. Where did that come from? I've read many books on the period and while Benedict Arnold was a very important General and his turning sides was major news, my impression was that it hurt morale if anything. It certainly didn't unite the colonies from what I read. My only guess is that the biographer that wrote whatever this movie was based on was trying to make the story seem so much more important than it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home