Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

My Warning Label
(via Arref)

NOTE: z
No smoking around Nuadha. Thankyou for your co-operation.

Username:

From Go-Quiz.com

Filthy habit. I really dislike smokers. Don't get me wrong, I think anyone should have the right to pollute their bodies all they want as long as they don't affect others. The problem is that smokers often go to public places and smoke, sharing their drug with anyone nearby and stinking up the place while they are at it. They also tend to stand right outside doors so that while leaving places you need to walk through the stink.

Another thing that really bugs me about smokers is how they are treated in the corporate environment. Both in my previous place of employment and where I am now, I would see smokers take a lot more breaks through the day as they would go outside and get their fix. Sure, company policy may not allow that many breaks, but supervisors would usually ignore the smoke breaks. Yet, they will get an advantage for working less as they meet other people in the company and chat with the smokers from other departments. This networking leads them to know about positions opening in other departments and more.

At my last job, there was this guy named Ed in my dpeartment. He took smoke breaks all day long, about every hour, and his smoking breaks would usually be 15 minutes or so. Even when he was at his desk, he didn't do much and spent a lot of his time chatting on the phone with his friends and making plans. He ended up going to another department to do a much better job for better pay. Why did he get the job? He certainly didn't earn it and anyone speaking to his supervisor in our department would have known that. He got it because he was smoking buddies with the team leader of the other department. At the time, I was just happy to see him go. "Good riddens." Later, I thought back to it and it bothered me. Smoking should not help people out in the business world, but it does.

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2004 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Lynne said...

There was a great episode of Friends where Rachel discovers the way smokers network. She wants to get in on it so she decides to start smoking but hates it so much it just doesnt work out.

Here is the thing. As you know, I generally dont smoke but fall off the wagon now and then. But even when I am not smoking, I will still occasionally step outside to spend some time talking to the smokers so I dont miss out on that networking opportunity. Although I have to say that around here, it isnt really all *that* great of one.

I also want to point out that there is another group besides smokers who get cut some slack on the break thing. Those are the 'walkers'. If you think you need a break, just get up and say you *need* a walk and go outside for 10-15 minutes and you wont get hassled. Just make sure you say you *need* the walk as if it is an addiction like nicotine. Well, it works for me anyways.

 
At June 30, 2004 at 10:04 AM , Blogger James said...

I havent thought of "needing" to walk. I guess it's hard to argue with that addiction. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home