Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Antique Paper
When I was in junior high there was this shop down the street from my school called "Antique Paper." The place mostly carried comic books, but also carried old newspapers, magazines, advertisements, etc. It was at that shop that I first started buying comic books. The thing I remember the most about the place, besides the walls of old comic books, was the classical music. The owner had a radio at the counter that he always had playing WQRS,a local classical station. The music gave the store a sense of class that I have never felt from any other comic shop. I think the classical music made the comic books seem more like art than "kid's stuff." I was listening to a Mozart CD today and every time I listen to Mozart I think about that comic shops and it's old wooden racks filled with comic books. I can almost smell the old paper smell the place had. There are certain moments I wish I could go back to. "Antique Paper" is one of those times and places I can almost revisit in my mind. Of couse I did spend a lot of time there. I was in there at least once a week spending my lunch money on comics until they closed a few years later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home