Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Game Ideas
One idea that has been stuck in my head lately was inspired by hearing about the plot to .hack. The anime and video game is about characters who are unravelling a mystery about this online roleplaying game and spend part of the time in the real world and part of it in the game. I keep thinking it would be neat to do this in a con game, where players are playing characters who are players in this online world and they have to deal with things inside and outside of the game to unravel a mystery. (perhaps the game company is an evil company using it to program the minds of its players or maybe the game ends up being a testing ground for an alien organization looking for warriors as in The Last Starfighter) Whatever the truth is, the characters would have to unravel with clues inside the game's server and in the outside world.

Another game idea came to me on the way to work:

We should have seen it coming. All the signs were there. When the governments had everyone implant I.D. chips in thie palms, we should have known. When people started mysteriously disappearing across the earth, we should have known. Now, the end days are upon us and we never saw it coming. There was no rapture for us. Nor was there eternal damnation. We are the meek.


Yeah, I'm thinking of running a game based on the biblical apocalypse. I ran one years ago for some friends and it was some dark, scary s----. Call of Cthulu, eat your heart out.

Back in the day, I used to run a lot of one-shots for friends. We'd get together and someone would ask, "so what are we going to do tonight?" So, I'd throw together a game. A lot of these turned out diceless, because we didn't want to take time making up stats for our characters.

The best one-shot I remember running in those days was a zombie-horror game. It was a lot like I am Legend with a few survivors fighting to survive in a world overrun by the undead. I think we used the Masterbok system and I had three players.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home