Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Roleplaying Meme
(Via Form Follows Function)

Why do you roleplay?
There are several things I get out of roleplaying. The main thing is the social interaction. It's a reason to get together with a bunch of creative friends each week and tell stories together. When GMing, I also enjoy the creative challenge. Coming up with an entertaining story and adapting and ad-libbing as the players do their things. As a player, I enjoy building what I hope is an interesting character with an interesting personality and trying to have that character's interesting nature and unique point of view come out in play.


What do you look for in a game?
There's so much to say....

I want to have fun. I like to tell good stories, but even when games I run go way astray or games I play in aren't as amazingly deep in the story element I had hoped for, I'm happy if everyone seemed to have fun. It can be the lamest plot, but if there were plenty of smiles at the end of the game, it matters not.

I don't usually like games that are out-right silly, but I want a little bit of light-heartedness.

I guess I'm demanding, because I also want the serious, high drama scene. Not every game, but often enough to keep things dramatic.

As a player, I like a game that let's my character and his or her more dramatic elements shine at least once per game. If I'm playing a strong character (like Griffin), I want the strength to play a pivotal role in events at some time, either saving the day as he hold open a door as his friends . If my character's a very emotional, dramatic character, like Lilly (my Champions character), I want to be able to play out those emotions. Whether my character is devious, honest, caring or cruel, I want one of the traits of his personality or his main abilities to be important at some time in the event of the game.

Both as a GM and as a player, I like dramatic action and combat. I could never stand when I played games and the characters actions each round of combat was :"I hit him. I roll a 16." Jump around! Pick up things! Make things interesting! As a player I like the environment being described by the GM and becoming important to a fight or action scene. Combats happen on the top of buildings with opponents trying to shove me off of the rooftop. Superhero combats have characters flung through walls and tossing cars at eachother. Swordfights happen on staircases and in dining rooms with opponents flinging chairs in the way and hopping up on the table. As a GM I like when the players describing their actions dramatically and visually. Even in they are just talking in a scene, I want a feel of how they gesturing.

I want some romantic/emotional elements, but I never seem to be able to roleplay them well as a GM or a player. Still, romantic subplots seem to make the games have more meaning and a level of emotion that they are often missing and I really appreciate a GM that can do them well.

I can go on and on. I'm demanding. Both in games I play in and games I run, I always want more. Sure, I believe that if we had fun it was a success, but I always walk away thinking "that could have been better."

Do you consider yourself a good player?
Sometimes.

Sometimes I find the character and can play it to the hilt. Sometimes, I play a character that interactacts well with others and let's them shine as well. (Like an actor needs to share a scene and not steal it, a roleplayer needs to allow others to get their airtime.) When I find my character and remember this lesson, I feel I'm a good roleplayer.

At other times, I don't know. At times I feel I too often over-play my characters or play characters that are so over-the-top that it's distracting for other players. (For this reason, I talked the GM in my Champions game to work in a plot that the old obnoxious Chango I used to play was part of a curse put on him by an NPC in his past and once it was removed I could play a dramatically toned down Chango. Chango was a scene-stealer and always had to be the center of attention and I felt it was gettingold and was afraid I might bother the other players.)

At other times, especially if I'm tired, I don't feel I'm acting enough. My characters stay quiet and just wait for a GM to supply a plot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home