Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Friday, June 13, 2003

Top Ten List
Flipping through a Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazine, I read today that Sci Fi Book Club has made their own top 50 list of most significant Sci-Fi/Fantasy books. I love these lists. They magazine only listed the top ten, referringt you to their website for the rest. I couldn't get find it on their website, www.sfbc.com, but here are the top ten from the magazine:

1- Lord of the Rings (Yawn. No suprise there; the most overrated series of books ever. They refer to it as the book that started the fantasy genre which isn't even true. Still, it's the most imitated fantasy series.)

2- The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

3- Dune by Frank Herbert

4- A Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

5- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

6- Neuromancer by William Gibson

7- Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

8- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

9- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

10- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I've read (or attempted to read) most of these and I mostly agree. I wouldn't even argue with LOTR being on the list. This reminds me that I was going to use that one top 100 list to make a reading list, since most of "the great Sci-Fi novels" have been boks that I've really enjoyed and if it's making lists, I should try it. I've never read AWizrd of Earthsea, but it always seems to score high on these lists, so that may be the next book I pick up.

In related news, Robert Asprin is finally releasing a new Myth book that will continue the story where it left off years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home