Nuadha's Tale

Ignorance can be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it. -Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Books
The Sci-Fi book club has released a list of 50 most significant sci-fi novels of all time. I think I may have to use this as a reading list. Of the books I've read on this list, all of them have been worth my time, even the ones I didn't like such as the Tolkein stuff. Here is the list with some comments by me:

1. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien (Read Fellowship and half of Two Towers. I think I gave it enough time to get good.)
2. The Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov (Already read. Will someday read again.)
3. Dune, Frank Herbert (Tried back in High School but quit a few chapters in. Someday, I'll give it another try.)
4. Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein (One of my favorite books ever.)
5. A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin (A friend of mine used to recommend the book constantly. I never took him too seriously. Maybe I should have. He was the guy who got me to read Elric after all. I just never forgave him for convincing me to read a Xanth book.)
6. Neuromancer, William Gibson (Read it. I liked it, but I doubt I will ever reread it.)
7. Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke
8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick (Another one of my favorites)
9. The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley (I saw the miniseries. Does that count?)
10. Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury (Another Favorite)
11. The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe
12. A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr.
13. The Caves of Steel, Isaac Asimov (Yet another of my favorites)
14. Children of the Atom, Wilmar Shiras
15. Cities in Flight, James Blish (James Blish? Didn't he write adaptions of Star Trek episodes?)
16. The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett
17. Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison
18. Deathbird Stories, Harlan Ellison
19. The Demolished Man, Alfred Bester
20. Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany (Have it. I keep meaning to read it.)
21. Dragonflight, Anne McCaffrey
22. Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (Read it.)
23. The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Stephen R. Donaldson
24. The Forever War, Joe Haldeman
25. Gateway, Frederik Pohl
26. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling (Read it)
27. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (Read it.)
28. I Am Legend, Richard Matheson (I've been meaning to read this one for years)
29. Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice(Read it.)
30. The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin
31. Little, Big, John Crowley
32. Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny (This one's already very high on my reading list)
33. The Man in the High Castle, Philip K. Dick
34. Mission of Gravity, Hal Clement
35. More Than Human, Theodore Sturgeon
36. The Rediscovery of Man, Cordwainer Smith
37. On the Beach, Nevil Shute
38. Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C. Clarke
39. Ringworld, Larry Niven
40. Rogue Moon, Algis Budrys
41. The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
42. Slaughterhouse-5, Kurt Vonnegut (I've read and enjoyed some Vonnegut. The guy is great.)
43. Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson
44. Stand on Zanzibar, John Brunner
45. The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester
46. Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein (read it.)
47. Stormbringer, Michael Moorcock (favorite book. ever. Did I need to say that?)
48. The Sword of Shannara, Terry Brooks
49. Timescape, Gregory Benford
50. To Your Scattered Bodies Go, Philip Jose Farmer (read it. loved it.)

So looking at the list, I can't help but think of what is missing: 1984. Why isn't it on the list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home